Unlocking Memories

Unlocking Memories
Revealing Old Memories and Creating New Ones

Monday, December 31, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea Stew




They are here! But only for a season. These New year goodies are fresh from the field and never dried. Here's to a prosperous New year! Does everyone know why people cook these for New Years?

This is my new comfort food favorite for New Year's. I generally enjoy black-eyed peas and my husband makes a great pot-o-peas. However, last New Year's I tried this recipe that I found on Melissa's website for fresh produce. I came across this because I purchased a container of fresh black-eyed peas from my local whole food store. I followed the recipe (except for the bacon - I didn't add bacon) and the result was one of the best stew I've ever had. It was great with brown rice, great as a dip for brown rice/sea salt chips, and even great with matzo/flat bread. Give it a try.


Ingredients

  • 1 pound bacon - diced
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1 tub of black eyed peas (11oz)
  • 14.5 oz vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 Can diced Tomatoes - about 29 oz
  • *Note: I also opt to use fresh pico de gallo since it has the tomato, onion, cilantro, and green peppers for a zesty taste.

Directions

In a large pot over medium high heat, sauté the bacon until crisp. Set aside the bacon, reserving the fat in the pot.
Add the celery, onion and green bell pepper, then sauté 10 minutes, or until tender (I cook mine until it's nice and thickened).
Add the black eyed peas, broth and stewed tomatoes and allow to heat through, about 15 more minutes.
Top with crumbled bacon when serving.
Variations: 
Sometimes I add browned ground turkey or ground beef, ham, shrimp, or shredded chicken. 
The choice is yours! 
Plate this with country greens and buttermilk cornbread, or any variation of rice, and you've got yourself some good ol' down home comfort food.