Unlocking Memories

Unlocking Memories
Revealing Old Memories and Creating New Ones

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tuesday's Chicken Stoup

Looks like a soup, feels like a stew. It's a hearty chicken soup!

I made this tonight. I love soups/stews in the cold winter months. I also have a cold, so I'm really going for comfort on this one. Nothing like being able to wrap up in a warm blanket with a hot  bowl of soup or stew to warm you from the inside out.

For this dish I don't really measure anything. I just throw it together and see what happens. However, it you feel you need to measure, just start with the following measurements and then adjust to taste during the simmering process. It just depends on how you want your soup to taste - more hearty and smokey? Add more cumin, paprika, pepper, and Old Bay. A less sweetened broth? Replace the rub on the chicken for a chicken rub or whatever your favorite rub is.


Let's talk about rice. 

My favorite . . . absolute favorite . . . is Japanese rice. I love the stickiness and the slight sweetness of it. However, I am aware that Japanese rice is not the perfect compliment to every single dish I make. For that reason, I prefer to keep a variety of rice types on hand - Japanese, Jasmine, regular long grain, wild rice, etc. For this dish I chose long grain rice; and I set it on top of the soup instead of spooning the soup over the rice so that my rice stays a bit dry and I can spoon in as much of it into the soup as I want gradually as I eat. That's just my preference and pickiness (if there is such a word).

Okay, let's get started. 


Ingredients:
6 Chicken Wings
1 Onion
1/2 lb smoked beef sausage
1 garlic clove
1 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
1-2 tsp red pepper (more or less according to preference)
2 tsp Grill Mate Chicken Rub
1 TBSP + 2 tsp Grill Mate Smokehouse Maple or Applewood Rub
1 tsp Sweet Paprika
1 tsp regular Paprika
2 tsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Italian Herb Mix (or 1 tsp of each oregano, 
thyme, basil)
2 tsp Old Bay Season                                                           
Mixture of you favorite veggies (I used carrots,             
peas, sweet corn, green beans, bell peppers and 
sometimes asparagus/red potato)
1 Cup of water
1 Cup Vegetable Broth
1 16 oz can of stewed tomato (Italian style)

  • Clean your chicken. Add chicken rub and the 2 tsp Smokehouse Maple or Applewood Rub (or whatever is your favorite). Add olive oil (about a tablespoon) and massage the ingredients into the meat. Let it rest while you prepare your soup.






  • Cut up the smoked sausage and onions.


  •  Brown the sausage and add the onions with a small bit of oil to saute until tender. Season the onions with a little salt and add the garlic. 
  • Now add the other seasoning and stir (the heat releases the flavors and aromas).






  • When the onions are clear, add about 1-2 cups of water and 1 Cup of vegetable broth.You can always add more liquid if you like.




 

  •  Add your vegetables - fresh or frozen - and stewed tomato. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.


 

  •  While that is cooking, heat up your skillet with a touch of oil (if you use a cast iron skillet that is well seasoned you won't need the oil). Brown the chicken wings on both sides. They will finish cooking in the soup.


  •  Add the chicken to the simmering pot of broth and veggies. Cover and let it simmer until the chicken is tender and falling apart.



  •  Serve with rice.

*** Variations: Try this with shrimp instead of sausage, or go meatless and spoon over a nicely grilled white fish for a lighter meal.