Unlocking Memories

Unlocking Memories
Revealing Old Memories and Creating New Ones

Monday, December 14, 2015

Sweet Potato Pie Manley Style

Well . . . My husband won't allow me to publish this recipe, but I can say this much about it . . . this is the pie your Southern grandmother used to make.



Why Manley Pie? Well, this is actually a recipe given to me from my mother. It's one of a few recipes she used to make sweet potato pie and it's my favorite one so far. This is that pie that takes you back to your childhood every single time. So, one day I asked her to walk me through the process of making this pie and I took the time to write down every step of it. Now, the measurements are not your standard units of measure. The units of measure are "country measurements." What is that? I'm glad you asked. Country measurements are "a little of", "a pinch of", "10 taps of", "15 sprinkles of", " a couple scoops of", "a handful of", etc. 
While I cannot give you the exact recipe (it's top secret, locked away in the vault, guarded by angels), I just had to write something about this pie that is better than ALL other pies I have had (and yes I have had some good ones, okay ones, and bad ones).

Here we go . . . 


Start with fresh yams. I like to use the larger ones. I place them in a pot with about an inch of water.


 Cover, and place in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees until they are tender and thoroughly cooked. Then scrape out the insides into a separate bowl.

Next, I add all of my standard ingredients as well as secret ingredients that give these pies layers of flavor. Not just sweetness, but FLAVOR!

Mix well with the cake mixer. I set mine to low so the liquids don't splash and all the ingredients marry nicely.

You know those strings that some people have in their pies? Those will gather around the mixer paddles. LEAVE THEM THERE ... DO NOT SCRAPE THESE BACK INTO YOUR BOWL. 

Next, pour the filling into your shells, place the pies on a cookie sheet (this ensures that the bottom crust gets nice and flaky) and bake them at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. This method of slow baking ensures that the edges of your crust do not over brown.


Cool to room temperature before covering to prevent condensation from gathering.

There you have it! That's all I can tell you. Enjoy!